Have you ever wondered why some medical device companies choose to outsource their technical writing services even if they have an in-house technical writing department in place?
Sometimes the in-house team is just plain understaffed, overloaded, and overwhelmed. Most often it’s because outsourcing to a technical writing services firm that specializes in their industry makes good business sense and serves as a springboard to success with their own customers.
A dedicated team of technical writers experienced with the audience and familiar with their unique business and core philosophy, is able to look at the company’s current communication processes with a fresh perspective, customize a strategy for providing consistent content to their customers, and make recommendations designed to generate results that meet the company’s overall business objectives. Consistent, readable, and usable content about their product makes for a satisfied, repeat customer.
Whether your company completes technical documentation with an in-house team, outsources technical writing services, or a combination of both, here are ten steps for ensuring a positive user experience.
10 Steps for Delivering Consistent, Readable, and Usable Content:
- Develop a Style Guide and use it to provide the basic building blocks needed for generating consistent, readable, and usable content across all documentation related to your products.
- Establish a controlled vocabulary and terminology list to avoid confusion and simplify information retrieval.
- Always adhere to applicable regulatory, environmental, health, safety, and contractual obligations and requirements.
- Internationalize your design and use Unicode fonts whenever writing for translation.
- Maintain intra-document stylistic consistency where possible, keeping in mind that it’s more important that documents meet regulatory requirements and are internally consistent than that they follow any particular stylistic convention.
- Write as if your audience is not familiar with your topic.
- Use standard words and phrases where possible and use them in the proper context.
- Write in clear and concise paragraphs, and use logical transitions.
- Complete ideas and use grammatically correct sentences.
- Always incorporate an editing phase into your work.
For more strategies and tips to ensure a successful outsourcing experience...