As technology continues to change the methods of daily interactions, manufacturers are starting to see these changes impact the customer service dynamic. Customers are using chatbots every day, from Siri to Alexa, and advances in artificial intelligence (AI) have led to a point where it can be used effectively for customer service. Some companies, such as American Express, have implemented chatbots so successfully that they actually improved the customer experience! Is your business ready to make the move?
Artificial intelligence can be effective customer support for:
- Answering frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Directing customers to relevant content in product manuals, maintenance manuals, and other product support documents
- Storage of key data, which leads to more personalized buying experiences and optimized product development
The UK’s National Health Service is even testing AI to reduce the burden on their helpline, so chatbots may play an important role in the move toward telemedicine. One US practice has already revolutionized telemedicine and the customer experience through chatbots.
Before artificial intelligence and the use of chatbots can be considered viable for your business, properly documented processes and procedures must be in place. An investment in well-written content can deliver ROI through reduced time demanded from customer service, technical sales engineers, and applications experts. Depending on the areas of operations where you are considering AI for support, the first step is to audit your documentation.
Before you can successfully execute a chatbot support system, it's important to answer the following questions:
- Does existing product documentation include a thorough index and clear stand-alone instruction?
- Does a complete list of FAQs already exist?
- Do you have well-documented standard operating procedures for the relevant areas of your operations, such as customer complaint handling, account inquiries, product returns, routine maintenance, and product installation?
- Do you have the internal resources or will you outsource technical writing to create natural, conversational responses to customer questions?
Great customer support is a competitive advantage, and whether you achieve that with well-trained staff or with artificial intelligence, properly documented processes, protocols, and technical documentation is key to consistent engagement and support of customers.
Do you need help capturing process knowledge and creating usable documentation? Explore our knowledge capture program:
Knowledge Transfer Quick-Start Plan
When you are ready to talk to our team about the best plan for your needs, we'd be happy to schedule a meeting.